Talent Presentation at the Miss America Pageant

Saturday, November 14, 2009

A walk and a wish

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay in posts... I have been waiting on some pictures and some approval to be able to publish this post!

Okay.. here goes...

Last week I met my first "wish kid" Eden. We had so much fun, and what a great family! As an official wish grantor with the Make-A-Wish foundation, my wish partner and I went to Eden's house to get to know her and find out her wish!  Eden is such a talented young lady and is very interested in fashion and she showed me several of her sketches... I was so impressed! I told her that she needed to design something for me for Miss America... I am sure that I will be seeing her designs on the runway in no time!


Last Saturday I attended the Torch Relay walk at Knott's Berry Farm that benefits both the Children's Miracle Network and CHOC Hospital. The Torch Relay started back in 1990, and today has raised over $5 million for CMN! The relay began in Orlando and the torch is passed from city to city as the walk travels from coast to coast. Last year, this specific walk raised over $42,000! It was such a fun event! Mary Bette and I arrived early in the morning in the crisp November fog and we were greeted by Brenda and Breanna from CHOC hospital as well as several other Torch Relay and CMN staff members. What a great team! I had the chance to meet with the "miracle family" and take a few pictures with Sophia and her brother. This 5 year old and her family have been through so much and I so admire their strength!


After a few words from the mayor of Buena Park, we were off! We walked all throughout Knott's Berry Farm, following a truck playing fun tunes and I even got to hold the torch (see picture). My aunt works for the Marriott and they were corporate sponsors for the walk, so I even got to walk with her team... too fun! At the end of the walk, I had an opportunity to speak and thank the sponsors and volunteers and everyone who gave so generously. I talked about my experiences at CHOC and gave a little history on the Torch Relay as well. After that, breakfast was served and then I got to dance and have fun with all of the kids that were there! We did a little bit of disco, line dancing, and even some hip hop... and I must say... that little Sophia was very impressive on the dance floor! For more info on the torch relay,
visit http://www.torch-relay.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=300905

My aunt and I with Snoopy!
The mayor of Buena Park and I discussed switching "hats" because of the rain... I offered to trade him my crown for his baseball cap, but we didn't reach an agreement :)
With Sophia and her brother

With Sophia and her mom


Rehearsals are nearing the end for the Glory of Christmas as our shows start in just two short weeks! We are now rehearsing with the entire cast and getting ready to open the show shortly after Thanksgiving! Nutcracker rehearsals are also coming along and the sugarplum variation is just as challenging as ever :)


Tonight, I attended the Stewardship Dinner at the Crystal Cathedral. It was a lovely evening complete with entertainment from Top Tipton and the Crystal Cathedral Academy Chorus. Dr. Shelia Schuller Coleman interviewed me and we spoke about my journey as Miss California and about me growing up in the church. It was a great evening and it was so fun to be able to be at my church and thank so many people in the audience who have played such integral roles in shaping who I am today. A special thank you to Connie Benson for coming along as my traveling companion!


With Dr. and Mrs. Robert H. Schuller
Me and Dr. Schuller
Dr. Sheila Schuller Coleman and me during the interview

I came straight home, took a business midterm, wrote a current events paper, and now I'm getting ready for bed! I have two appearances tomorrow so it is time to hit the hay!

Until next time!

Miss America countdown: 66 days

Quote of the week: "
- Cameron Diaz