Talent Presentation at the Miss America Pageant

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

This week in review

おはようございます! (Good morning!)

This week has been great so far!! On Monday I went sailing with the Baldwins in Long Beach... it was a beautiful day and we had so much fun! 



On Tuesday, I drove out to Palm Desert to get my hair cut and re-highlighted and Lorraine was wonderful. She even did an extra protein treatment on my hair that came in a little vile from Italy! Don't worry, we didn't do anything too drastic :) just some natural highlights and we trimmed off a few inches.









After I got home, I quickly changed and got ready for "Japan Day" at Angel Stadium. Chelle picked me up and we headed to the stadium. Outside of the stadium there were various booths set up, each one representing something about Japan. There were traditional Japanese dancers, Yakult milk vendors, a sushi booth (which was the most popular of course), Suzuki, an origami display and then a booth for Miss California! You may be asking yourself, "Why was Kristy at Japan Day??" and the answer is that I am one quarter Japanese. My dad's mom is from Japan. I have had the wonderful opportunity to visit Japan twice now and I am anxious to go back again! One other interesting fact: I have two middle names and the second is a Japanese middle name that both of my brothers and I share... my full name is Kristen Marie Akiyama Cavinder.







Anyways, Japan Day was great... I signed hundreds of autographs (my hand even got tired!), posed for pictures, got to have some fun with some martial artists that were there and I even signed the back of a cell phone (this was a first), several hats and some jerseys!


On Wednesday morning, I spoke at the Placentia Rotary. A big thank you to Glenn and Kathi Baldwin who arranged this! It was great to meet all of the Rotarians. I even met the Police Chief, so I guess I need to be extra careful when driving around Placentia from now on! I spoke about how I got involved in pageants, the impact they have had on my life and on my platform.






With Kathi and Glenn Baldwin
With the President of the Rotary, Kevin Padilla


Wednesday turned into a 20 hour day that ended with great news! I auditioned to be a dancer in the Glory of Christmas production at the Crystal Cathedral and I got it!! This will be my seventh season in this production, and it is something that I truly look forward to doing each year. It is a wonderful job and a great dancing opportunity. For those of you who aren't familiar with the show, there are live camels, donkeys, flying angels, live singers and dancers who tell the Christmas story in a huge all glass Cathedral. I am so excited that I will be able to be in the production this year! It will be perfect training for my talent for Miss America because it will keep me in great dancing shape!

Quotes of the week (there are two again):

"Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born"

"We have no simple problems or easy decisions after kindergarten" 
 (Isn't that the truth!)

Miss America countdown: 131 days!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!